Red Hook was one of the first neighborhoods in Brooklyn.
It was first settled by Dutch colonists from New Amsterdam in 1636.
Its orignal name is “Roode Hoek” which means in Dutch ‘corner”.
In the mid-19th century, its port was one of the largest in the United States.
Even if Red Hook had suffered from a bad reputation, it becomes more and more a neighborhood of artists.
Moreover, Red Hook is the only neighborhood in New York City that offers a full view of the Statue of Liberty.